Lightning Stakes Horse Race
Commercial content | T&C apply | Please play responsibly | 18+
One of the most important sprint races in the world is the Lightning Stakes. Although full of history, the Lightning Stakes race is now run as the Black Caviar Lightning is an honour of one of the greatest horses of all time. (Learn more about other Group 1 horse races in Flemington).
We have all the information you need for the next edition. The race will be run at Flemington Racecourse on February. Check out the history, the recent results and a whole lot more.
The Lightning Stakes was introduced to the racing calendar back in 1955. It was quickly a success, eventually taking Group 2 status in 1980 before being upgraded to Group 1 class back in 1987.
Since 2005, the Lightning Stakes race has been the first leg of the Global Sprint Challenge. Occasionally, winners of this event head off to Royal Ascot in England in June which features another two legs of the challenge.
The Lightning Stakes is one of the crucial Group 1’s staged around Melbourne. Races at Moonee Valley, Caulfield and this one at Flemington are vital for Australia’s stakes racing programme.
In 2013, the Lightning Stakes took on a new name in recognition of the exceptional sprinter Black Caviar. She won 25 out of 25 races in her career, including this very contest three times between 2011 and 2013.
Black Caviar also holds the record time for the event, clocking just 55.42 seconds for her third win in 2013.
Lightning Stakes 2021 Results
If you’re going to check out the odds and have a bet on this race, take a look at the 2021 result first. These horses were the first four home:
- Nature Strip (J: Jamie Kah, T: Chris Waller)
- September Run (J: Craig Williams, T: Chris Waller)
- Swats That (J: Jye McNeil, T: Leon and Troy Corstens)
- Fabergino (J: Michael Poy, T: Tiarnna Robertson)
Previous Lightning Stakes Winners
Several of the quickest horses in the world have taken the Lightning Stakes. The field barrier draw has always been important, something that has shaped the betting. Here are the winners of this major Group 1 event over the last decade or so:
- 2021 – Nature Strip
- 2020 – Gytrash
- 2019 – In Her Time
- 2018 – Redkirk Warrior
- 2017 – Terravista
- 2016 – Chautauqua
- 2015 – Lankan Rupee
- 2014 – Snitzerland
- 2013 – Black Caviar
- 2012 – Black Caviar
- 2011 – Black Caviar
Global Sprint Challenge
The Lightning Stakes race is the first leg of the Global Sprint Challenge. The series began in 2005 and now includes top sprint races in Australia, England, Japan, Hong Kong and the UAE.
Currently, these are the races that make up the Global Sprint Challenge of racing:
- Lightning Stakes – Flemington Racecourse, Australia.
- Takamatsunomiya Kinen – Chukyo Racecourse, Japan.
- Al Quoz Sprint – Meydan Racecourse, Dubai.
- Chairman’s Sprint Prize – Sha Tin Racecourse, Hong Kong.
- King’s Stand Stakes – Ascot Racecourse (Royal Ascot), England.
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes – Ascot Racecourse (Royal Ascot), England.
- July Cup – Newmarket Racecourse, England.
- Sprinters Stakes – Nakayama Racecourse, Japan.
- The Age Classic – Flemington Racecourse, Australia.
- Hong Kong Sprint – Sha Tin Racecourse, Hong Kong.
The major Lightning Stakes questions answered.
When is the Lightning Stakes 2022?
The latest Black Caviar Lightning will be staged at Flemington in Melbourne on Saturday, February 12th.
What is the Prize Money for the Lightning Stakes?
The Lightning Stakes is worth a grand total of $750,000.
Learn more about other Group 1 races in Flemington, Melbourne
If you are looking for other group 1 horse races in Flemington racecourse, read the pages listed below to get more information.
- Melbourne Cup horse race
- Victoria Derby horse race
- VRC Oaks horse race
- Australian Guineas horse race
- Australian Cup horse race
- Newmarket Handicap horse race
- Makybe Diva Stakes horse race
- Turnbull Stakes horse race
- Cantala Stakes horse race
- Coolmore Stud Stakes horse race
- Empire Rose Stakes horse race
- VRC Sprint Classic horse race